So, this week I wanted to up-cycle one of several pairs of jeans that I have that I don't really wear and turn them into a wearable wiggle skirt.
What I used:
- Pair of old Jeans
- Some scrap fabric- approx 1m x.25m
- Sewing Machine and Thread
What I did:
1) I held the jeans up to myself and popped a pin in the leg to mark the desired length. Don't put them on to do this as the waist will always be higher when the crotch is cut out.
2) I cut my jeans at the mark and then folded them in half and cut the other leg.
3) I cut down both legs, ensuring the bulky/folded over part of the seam was intact at the front. Don't bother trying to unpick the legs- it is hard on the hands and no fun! I also cut through the crotch and trimmed the crotch away so that the front and back tops of the triangle laid flat.
4) I placed an oblong piece of contrasting fabric (from the shirt dress I bought the other week) in between the former legs and pinned the seams onto it. Make sure you don't pin through the back part of the skirt too.
5) I top stitched the former leg seams onto the fabric, turned the skirt inside out and trimmed down the contrast fabric leaving approx 1cm seam allowance.
6) I pinned the back seams together and sewed them too- you may find you have to sew a little higher than the original crotch line (the bit pocking out in the photo) so that the skirt sits properly across your bottom.
7) I didn't hem the bottom as I think it looks cool to be a bit frayed.
Then I found out how hard it is to take a decent picture of yourself wearing a skirt!
Happy Weekend Dear Reader!
Love Alice x